To develop excellent hockey players on and off the ice.
To develop youth hockey players into elite citizens and athletes. To conduct a youth hockey program that provides a fun and exciting experience for all the participants and their families, in an environment that promotes competition, sportsmanship, and teamwork, and that has a positive lasting impact upon the development of the participants as hockey players, individuals, and members of the community.
The best players in history were often not the very best at any one skill. They simply had the right combination of developed skills. Training for that combination is the job of every skating coach, every strength coach, and everyone who advises young players The Tulsa Jr Oilers Youth Hockey coaching staff has hand picked coaches to work with your athlete. We know the importance of having elite coaching to make your athlete an excellent hockey player, and we spend multiple hours preparing practice plans.
Saying all that, we want to refrain from having any coaches teaching (On or Off Ice) during Tulsa Jr Oilers Youth Hockey practices without approval through Derek Toninato or Klage Kaebel. This helps keep practices organized and efficient so your child can get everything out of each practice. Thank You!
In order to achieve our mission and have successful athletic teams, the Tulsa Jr Oilers are guided by core values:
- Excellence – We will excel in performance, achievement and service. If it is worth doing it is worth doing right.
- Respect: We respect ourselves and others and embrace our diversity.
- Accountability: We hold ourselves and each other accountable for our words and our actions.
- Teamwork: We work collaboratively and we work hard in a cooperative spirit.
- Citizenship: We are responsible, caring, and active citizens within and beyond the Tulsa community.
- Integrity: We have a high regard for truth, play according to the rules, strive to act in ethical ways and are sincere in our actions.
- Humility: We are grateful for our opportunities and mindful that our participation in athletics is a privilege and not an entitlement.
- Sportsmanship: We are gracious competitors regardless of the final score and conduct ourselves with dignity under pressure and in the face of adversity.
- Tradition: We will build upon our tradition as we grow each year.
The Tulsa Jr Oilers Youth Hockey approach to elite training:
- Competing at a higher level than one’s comfort zone ALWAYS produces improvement.
- We provide skill, speed, and strength based training tailored to force each player beyond their comfortable level of play.
- Derek and Klage have seen these methods produce results first hand in their own careers, and in the 48 combined years of hockey experience they bring to the table.
What we do:
- Skill-based training: the foundation for success
- Over-speed training: quality intervals-“elevate the comfort zone”
- Strength, Agility, and Coordination: On and off ice training
Our techniques include:
- Agility with good posture
- Planning, Periodization, Specifying
- Post-activation potentiation
Our goal is to train and develop the individual into the entire package:
- Skill: Skating, passing, shooting, stick-handling
- Quickness (speed, acceleration, agility)
- Hockey specific strength, endurance and coordination
- Muscle memory: proper technique and speed becomes 2nd nature